Tag Archives: WIPs

WIPs: Recently Found Failures and Semi-Abandoned Works In Progress

4 Jan

I’ve recently unearthed an impressive amount of knitty projects that have been abandoned, or forgotten, or have just plain failed. So while some people like to take time at the beginning of the new year to reflect on past accomplishments, I thought it’d be fun to take a look at an inventory of unfinished business.

A few years ago, Tim asked me to make him a pair of fingerless gloves so his hands can stay warm while he works on his computer. A year after this request, I started these babies. Two years later, I found this at the bottom of a bag in my workspace at home. So, it looks like I stopped knitting right before where the finger openings start, and the red yarn indicates where the thumb gusset should start. Maybe I stopped making these because I didn’t want to deal with the complexity of making all the digit openings? I do remember that this sport weight yarn seemed to be making a pretty small-sized glove, so if I ever finish these, I may find MYSELF with a new pair of fingerless gloves… Also the material is knitting up pretty stiff, so, yuck. Sorry Tim.

I found another abandoned project for Tim: a C’thulhu dice bag! It was going to be a Christmas present three years ago, but it looks like I only got as far as making the bottom of the bag. I was going to use glow-in-the-dark yarn for the knitted C’thulhu shapes that are supposed to go all around the outside of the bag. Cool, eh?

Here’s the glow-in-the-dark yarn. I remember it was really hard to find, so I better start putting it to good use.

Earlier this year, I made a couple of cute brimmed hats for my little nieces. Well, here are the first iterations of those hats, back when I wanted to use a more neutral color so they would feel more “vintage”-y. You can see that I was trying to work out the sizing of the hats, then once I finally managed to make one in the correct size, I saw that the soft material of the yarn made for a pretty shapeless brim hat. Looks like these guys will be getting frogged.

Oh, geez. So, I wanted to make myself a chunky cable knit hat with a brim. I couldn’t find a pattern I liked, so I took a pattern for an ear-flap hat and figured I could just nix the ear flaps and add a brim. It was only after I made the entire hat that I realized how much that wasn’t going to work out. (It looks like I’m wearing a big licorice bell on my head.) So this photo is for posterity, to remind myself of all of the hard work I did. I’ll be frogging this, and using the yarn to make a different hat. (I finally found a pattern for a chunky cable knit hat with a brim that I like!)

I found this yarn in a drawer. I can’t remember what project it was originally used for, but it definitely looks like it was frogged then hastily rolled back into a ball.

This is the neck opening to the ugly sweater that I started making for ViVi this past Fall. I only got this far before I realized that the pattern I was using didn’t go over the chest and belly. So it was more like a cardigan, which isn’t really that helpful for a dog that gets cold easily.

So I found a new dog sweater pattern! This pattern uses a formula where you can apply your dog’s measurements to create a custom fit. Since taking this photo, I’ve been able to finish knitting the belly section. Now I just have to add the semi-complicated ribbing border… I was hoping to have this sweater done by this past Christmas, but at this rate, I’ll be lucky if it’s done by next Christmas.

Speaking of sweaters, I started making a sweater for myself! I started this at the beginning of last year, in the hopes that I could have a super cute short-sleeved sweater for the beginning of last spring. This is from a vintage pattern called “The Two-Hour Sweater”, and it neglects to instruct what the best way is to sew the sides together, pick up the arm hole stitches, and knit the little sleeves. I guess back then, little details like that were common knowledge?

Perhaps I will spend time this winter figuring out how to finish up this sweater. I do really like all the details of this pattern. Here’s a close-up of the neck hole on the front.

And here’s a close-up of the top of the back.

And a close-up of the ribbing at the bottom.

After I started writing this post, I found this half-finished fingerless mitten. I’d forgotten all about this one! It’s hard to tell because of the tweed, but the bottom of the mitt is all cable-y.

Hmmm, even in a close-up, it’s hard to see the cables. Well trust me, they’re there, and they’re glorious.

And last but not least, here’s a gorgeous hat I started making at the request of my sister Sara. She wanted a big, cable-y hat, and picked out this lovely, soft, grey cotton yarn. I was cable-ing like a madwoman, until I got to this point and realized one of the cables is pointing the wrong way. I have no clue how to successfully frog this only up to the mistake, fix it, then continue on with the hat. So it looks like I’m going to have to frog the whole thing and start again.

So let’s just take a moment to gaze at the lovely, soft cables, before they get annihilated.

Well, that was fun. Let’s see how many more WIPs I can start and then abandon in 2013!