I found the perfect spring hat to crochet for my friends’ sass-ily adorable daughter, Isabel: this delightful little Tulip Cap! I used Cotton-Ease yarn so the hat would be light-weight and easy to wash, plus I really like the dark pink color. (Extra thanks to Melanie for providing the perfect yarn!)
Cute! I was worried it would be a bit small, even though, according to the pattern, I made the correct size. I can’t figure out if I’m terrible at making hats, or if the issue’s really with the patterns and not me. 😉
You can’t really see them in this pic, but for some reason, there are holes at the top of this hat. It’d be easy enough to whip-stitch them up (which is what is suggested in the bag version of this pattern), but I decided to keep them. Perhaps the hat having air holes will help keep Isa cooler in the warmer Spring months?
Isa and her mum came by my work to see me and a few other buds, so I was able to present the hat to them in person.
Awww, what a cutie patootie!! (And hooray, the hat fits!)
Isa’s mum also shared this pic of Isa rockin’ her new hat during playtime.
I also heard that the hat made it down to Chile during a recent trip. How cool is it that something I made ended up in another country??
I really like this hat. I think it’s lovely, and it was fun to make. I’d definitely make it a bit bigger if I ever make it again. (I guess I should start making gauge swatches before starting a project, instead of jumping right in…)
Made a spring-time wreath for our front door! I was inspired by this very lovely project: Gorgeous DIY Paper Wreath.
The leaves lay flat because I used glue instead of staples. I’m fine with it (though I really do love the 3-D-ness of the wreath in that link!).
The leaves are made from really pretty paper I found at Paper Source. Some sort of shimmery ink was used to make the patterns on the paper, so there’s a nice play between natural/hand-made-looking paper and pops of shimmery-ness.
The bird design was inspired by an image from one of my fave stock image sites. I used scraps of paper that I happened to have left over from other projects. The copper paper is shimmery, which echoes the shimmery-ness of the rest of the wreath.
I used a lighter-weight cardboard instead of the usual bookboard, since it’s easier to cut in to a circle. But this means that the wreath started to bow pretty soon after hanging it on the door. 😦 Maybe next year I’ll try to fix it by adding heavier-weight cardboard to the back.
You can’t really tell, but I used a semi-sheer, shimmery, copper-y ribbon to tie it to the door.
Unlike the Vintage Valentines wreath, this did not get a complement by the mailman. Ah well! It makes me happy to see it whenever I come home, so that’s what counts!